Our Church

Church S VertST PETER AD VINCULA is a Grade 1 listed building on a prominent hilltop site. The earliest documents so far found that mention the church are dated 1227 and the list of vicars begins in 1273. Its hilltop site, unusually thick walls and high doorways suggest that for some time it may have been used as a Norman keep guarding the upper reaches of the River Arun. The church has many attractive historical features from the medieval wall painting and many additions through the centuries to a new stained glass window donated in 2006. For more information, see History.

Being on an imposing site on the A272 the church attracts many visitors from the UK and overseas. St Peter’s was possibly a church on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela and the parish and congregation would like to further develop links with these ‘modern day pilgrims’.

The designation 'ad Vincula' is an unusual one and refers to St Peter 'in chains'.  This designation is shared with about 27 other churches in the UK, including The Chapel Royal of St Peter ad Vincula, the parish church of the Tower of London.

St Peter’s is a single benefice in the Diocese of Chichester and in the Archdeaconry of Horsham and part of the Petworth Deanery. There are presently 115 on the electoral roll.

The church building is in very good condition and has been maintained to a high standard over many years. The most recent quinquennial inspection took place in June 2013 and there were no major issues identified and only a small number of maintenance items which will need attention over the coming years. For information about how the church is funded, see Church Finances.

Christians have worshipped on this site for over a thousand years, but this church is more than an historic monument: it is a house of prayer, lovingly maintained to the glory of our Lord. Before visiting the church, why not download our "Walk of History, Scripture and Prayer" booklet and have it with you while walking around the church for a more spritual experience.